GFCI Junction Box Size

Old 01-03-05, 11:36 AM
hannah01
Visiting Guest
GFCI Junction Box Size

I want to replace the outlets around my kitchen sink with GFCI outlets. However, upon trying to install one, the junction box seems a little too small to fit the new GFCI outlets. It almost fits, but I was afraid to force it too much for fear of loosening/damaging wires or connections. The whole in the wall is somewhat small and surrounded by tile. Getting a larger box in would be a lot of work.

A) Are there any work-arounds for this?
B) Is it possible to fold the wires a different way to accomodate the size of the outlet?
C) What about junction box extenders?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-05, 11:39 AM
Typically you don't have to replace all outlets, just the first one in the series. If it doesn't fit you may have to go the GCFI breaker route.

Old 01-03-05, 11:48 AM
hannah01
Visiting Guest
Unfortunately, the first one in the series is the one I tried to replace. I've read both versions that only the first one in the series need be a GFCI and also that all should be GFCI.

What are the issues with cramming the wires in there so that a GFCI will fit? I did use the plug holes on the back of the outlet (the kind with the screw-clamp.) Would it help to use the screws instead?