Question From State Test

Old 01-03-05, 03:15 PM
rikamy
Visiting Guest
Question From State Test

I am having trouble finding the answer to a question I had on the State Licence exam I took.. The question was: What is the maximum rated current supply for an indoor spa?...I believe I answered 20 amps. The only thing I can find is (1999 nec) on article 680-41, but to me is a little vague as to the max?? any help on this one.. greatfully appreciated!!! Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-05, 06:58 PM
I was not aware that there was a maximum.

Old 01-03-05, 07:05 PM
rikamy
Visiting Guest
Indoor Spa

I didn't either, .... it was definately on the test, I've ran power for plenty of outdoor spa's and am familiar with code, but only installed one indoor spa, and it was a dedicated 20 amp.. anyway I answered 20 amp on the test, hopefully it was correct.. thanks for your help John, much appreciated!!

Old 01-03-05, 07:24 PM
Just because it was on the test doesn't mean that there is a maximum. It could have been a trick question. Was the test based completely on the NEC, or did it include local codes as well?

Old 01-03-05, 09:38 PM
I have an old code book. Maybe some one with an new book can confirm this.

680-41. Indoor Installations.

(h) Electric Water Heaters. All electric spa or hot tub water heaters shall be listed and have the heating elements subdivided into loads not exceeding 48 amperes and protected at not more than 60 amperes.

Old 01-04-05, 03:20 AM
I have a 2002 code book and can't find any reference to a maximum amperage for indoor installations of a spa/hot tub in 680 IV. Spas and Hot Tubs.

Old 01-04-05, 02:38 PM
rikamy
Visiting Guest
Test Question

John, I took the c-11 Electrical (residential) for the state of Arizona. The following references were used to create the exam.. 1999 NEC; State Of Arizona OSHA; Alternating Current Fundamentals, Sixth Edition 2000; and American Electricians' Handbook, Fourteenth Edition,2000.. Guess it could have been a trick question, don't know, just been bugging me since I took it. I only have 1999 Nec and not the other books, but was unable to find a solid answer in the code book... I gotta think 20 amps is the max, but who knows could be 50. I guess a good question for this board is has anyone seen a newer indoor spa rated over 20 amps...??

Old 01-04-05, 02:53 PM
rikamy
Visiting Guest
Indoor Spa

In reference to my question, I just called a couple of local spa service repair companies, they said they make an indoor spa rated at 40 and 50 amp 220 as well as the 110v 20 amp. I think someone's post might be right as 60 amps max. I have it in the 1999 NEC at section 680-9 pretty much worded the same, just doesn't specify as indoor or outdoor use.

Old 01-04-05, 05:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The last (many) few spas I have done were all 50 amp, 120/240 circuits. I have in the past done some which were {20 amp-120 volt~50 amp-120/240 volt} convertable. I believe the question may have been directed to 120 volt units, but I agree that there is nothing in the code.
The 680.41 quoted from 1999 is for water heaters in spas, not complete spas. So I am leaning towards trick question.

Old 01-04-05, 07:05 PM
The article cited by GWIZ in an "old" code book does not seem to exist in the 2002 NEC. So GWIZ, what year is your "old" code book? And can somebody check to see if GWIZ's citation exists in the 1999 code on which the test rikamy took was based?

Old 01-04-05, 08:47 PM
I cant remember,
I think I heard that 60 amps was the maximum you can run to any one appliance inside for residential home use.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Front cover
NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE-1990
INSPECTORS EDITION
Complimentary copy provided by the National Fire Protection Association
in recognition of the vital role of the Electrical Inspector.
------------------------------
680-41. Indoor Installations. A spa or hot tub indoors shall conform.............etc.

(a) Receptacles.......................
(b) Lighting.............................
(c) Wall Switches....................
(d) Bonding.............................
(e) Methods of Bonding.............
(f) Grounding.............................
(g) Methods of Grounding...........

(h) Electric Water Heaters. All electric spa or hot tub water heaters shall be listed and have the heating elements subdivided into loads not exceeding 48 amperes and protected at not more than 60 amperes.
The ampacity of the branch-circuit conductors, and the rating or setting of overcurrent protective devices, shall not be less than 125 percent of the total load of the nameplate.

(i) Underwater Audio Equipment.......................

680-50

Old 01-05-05, 12:56 PM
Couple questions:

1. Are you going by memory, or is, "What is the maximum rated current supply for an indoor spa?" exactly the way the question was worded.

2. What were the other choices (this was a multiple choice exam, wasn't it?)

If the question was "what is the maximum rated current supply for indoor spa heaters", then I believe 60 amps would be the correct answer.

680.43 Indoor Installations. A spa or hot tub installed indoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article except as modified by this section and shall be connected by the wiring methods of Chapter 3.

Exception: Listed spa and hot tub packaged units rated 20 amperes or less shall be permitted to be cord-and-plug connected to facilitate the removal or disconnection of the unit for maintenance and repair.

Comments: The exception above seems to rule out 20 amps being the max. Also, as found in Part I:

680.9 Electric Pool Water Heaters. All electric pool water heaters shall have the heating elements subdivided into loads not exceeding 48 amperes and protected at not over 60 amperes....

680.2 Definitions. Pool Manufactured or field-constructed equipment designed to contain water on a permanent or semipermanent basis and used for swimming, wading, or other purposes.

Old 01-05-05, 04:54 PM
rikamy
Visiting Guest
Test Question

That was the question from the test to the best of my ability, I do know for a fact there wasn't anything mentioned about 120v or 240v , but just the maximum rated current for an indoor spa.... It was multiple choice and my choices were 20 amp / 30 amp/ 50 amp/ or 60 amp... after reading other posts and my own research, I would tend to believe the answer was 60 amps. Don't mean to clutter up the board, just some intelligent people here I thought would help, and did.. There were a handful of tricky questions on the test, 80 questions in all, I remembered about 25 of them that I thought were a little odd, but overall the test wasn't that difficult. A lot of knowing how to utilize the code book and find answers... Anyway thanks for all of the replies!!!