ser vs seu

Old 01-03-05, 05:28 PM
Jneel
Visiting Guest
ser vs seu

I am looking to use it to install a 100AMP subpanel in my basement.

What is the difference between SER and SEU cable? I have been looking for SER #4 Copper in my area...but I can only find SEU in the lower guages.

I am assuming SEU does not have a ground...if this is the case...can a seperate ground be used?

Thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-05, 05:44 PM
SEU is serivce cable used to connect a residence to the utility power.It has 2 hot conductors & 1 neutral.SER is used to connect a sub-panel to the main panel feeding it {like in your case}. Code requires that the grounds & neutrals from branch circuits in a sub-panel be seaparated on different busbars.Therefore SER contains 2 hots, an insulated neutral & a ground.Do you have access to Al {aluminum} SER cable? Although it has less ampacity, as long as the connections are done properly it works just as well as Cu {copper} cable.A seaparate ground cannot be used per the NEC,all circuit conductors must be run in the same conduit or cable assembly.

Old 01-03-05, 05:56 PM
Jneel
Visiting Guest
Yes I do have access to AL...I am just exploring my options before buying the AL SER.

I do have one additional question...how does SER compare to THHN in conduit? Is one approach considered better/safer than the other?

Old 01-03-05, 06:02 PM
The SER is cheaper {Cu or Al} to run than conduit/thhn but if the conductors need to be protected then you'll have to use pipe.