wiring the half and half receptacle

Reply

  #1  
Old 01-03-05, 05:59 PM
golfdog
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
wiring the half and half receptacle

the garbage disposal receptacle is on a switch - black, white and ground. I added a hot water dispensor and now need half on, the other half switched. I think I went wrong when I broke off both brass tabs.

Can anyone supply me with the correct procedure for the connection of this receptacle?
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-03-05, 06:08 PM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
If the receptacle only has one cable in the receptacle box, and if that cable is black/white/bare, then you need more wiring in the wall. The easiest way is probably to replace the black/white/bare cable between the switch and the receptacle with a black/red/white/bare cable.

On the other hand, if that black/white/bare cable you mentioned was in the switch box rather than the receptacle box, then post back and clarify exactly what you have in the receptacle box.

And if you ever run the dispenser and the disposal at the same time, you'll probably trip the breaker. What are the specs of the dispenser?
 
  #3  
Old 01-03-05, 06:16 PM
ampz's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 536
Need more info....Does power come in at the switch or at the receptacle? If it comes in at the receptacle then all you need to do is connect the hot to that 1/2 of the recpt for the insta-hot.The switched hot gets connectd to the other half of the recpt. Since you broke the tabs off you will need to make a double pigtail of the neutral with one going to the insta-hot neutral & one going to the disposal neutral on the recpt.If the hot is at the switch you will need to run a peice of 3 wire {black,red,white & ground}.The black gets connected to the disposal half of the recpt, the red to the other half,the white gets pigtailed like above. Or just get another receptacle........but only break the tab on the hot side. Good luck,becareful
 
  #4  
Old 01-03-05, 07:28 PM
txdiyguy's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 249
Another option to consider if you determine that you need additional wiring and find it impossible to do so is to leave the switch on (or remove it, wire nut it together and install a blank cover), replace the receptacle with an intact one and use a pneumatic switch for the disposal. This will require an additional hole in the sink deck or some other way to mount the pneumatic switch. The pneumatic switch device plugs into a receptacle and uses a small tube connected to a push-button switch like those used for a jacuzzi tub. You then plug the disposal into this device. I like these because it is sometimes difficult to locate the switch for the disposal close to the sink.
 
  #5  
Old 01-04-05, 07:08 AM
golfdog
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks John, the receptacle cable is black/white/bare. Looks like I will have to pull cable? Where will the red connect at the switch?


Originally Posted by John Nelson
If the receptacle only has one cable in the receptacle box, and if that cable is black/white/bare, then you need more wiring in the wall. The easiest way is probably to replace the black/white/bare cable between the switch and the receptacle with a black/red/white/bare cable.

On the other hand, if that black/white/bare cable you mentioned was in the switch box rather than the receptacle box, then post back and clarify exactly what you have in the receptacle box.

And if you ever run the dispenser and the disposal at the same time, you'll probably trip the breaker. What are the specs of the dispenser?
 
  #6  
Old 01-04-05, 07:11 AM
golfdog
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I will get another receptacle...then break tab on hot side only. Can you explain the order of the black/white/bare for me?

Originally Posted by ampz
Need more info....Does power come in at the switch or at the receptacle? If it comes in at the receptacle then all you need to do is connect the hot to that 1/2 of the recpt for the insta-hot.The switched hot gets connectd to the other half of the recpt. Since you broke the tabs off you will need to make a double pigtail of the neutral with one going to the insta-hot neutral & one going to the disposal neutral on the recpt.If the hot is at the switch you will need to run a peice of 3 wire {black,red,white & ground}.The black gets connected to the disposal half of the recpt, the red to the other half,the white gets pigtailed like above. Or just get another receptacle........but only break the tab on the hot side. Good luck,becareful
 
  #7  
Old 01-04-05, 07:58 AM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
I'm going to assume that there is just one black, one white, and one bare wire in the receptacle box. No more. If there are more than one of any color, then the information below is incorrect.

The existing switch has two wires connected to it. One is a unswitched hot and one is a switched hot. You will of course be removing the existing black/white cable between the switch to the receptacle. That will remove the switched hot from the switch and leave only the unswitched hot.

So the black wire of your new black/red/white cable will be connected together with the unswitched hot using a wire nut, and then pigtailed with a short piece of black wire to one screw on the switch. The red wire will then connect to the other screw on the switch. All white wires in the switch box will be connected together with a wire nut.

At the receptacle end, the red will then be the switched hot and the black the unswitched hot. These two wires will connect to the two brass screws on the receptacle, with the tab between them removed. The white will be the neutral, and connects to either silver screw on the receptacle (with the tab still in place).

One trick we can consider is to replace the switch with a 3-way switch. This can be used to automatically cut off power to the dispenser whenever the disposal is on. This will keep you from blowing the breaker.
 
  #8  
Old 01-04-05, 08:00 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Dry Side of Washington State
Posts: 738
Originally Posted by golfdog
the garbage disposal receptacle is on a switch - black, white and ground. I added a hot water dispensor and now need half on, the other half switched. I think I went wrong when I broke off both brass tabs.

Can anyone supply me with the correct procedure for the connection of this receptacle?
What's the amp rating for the garbage disposal and the hot water dispensor.
 
  #9  
Old 01-04-05, 10:34 AM
golfdog
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Good To Go!

Got everything pulled and working! Thanks for the instruction.


Originally Posted by John Nelson
I'm going to assume that there is just one black, one white, and one bare wire in the receptacle box. No more. If there are more than one of any color, then the information below is incorrect.

The existing switch has two wires connected to it. One is a unswitched hot and one is a switched hot. You will of course be removing the existing black/white cable between the switch to the receptacle. That will remove the switched hot from the switch and leave only the unswitched hot.

So the black wire of your new black/red/white cable will be connected together with the unswitched hot using a wire nut, and then pigtailed with a short piece of black wire to one screw on the switch. The red wire will then connect to the other screw on the switch. All white wires in the switch box will be connected together with a wire nut.

At the receptacle end, the red will then be the switched hot and the black the unswitched hot. These two wires will connect to the two brass screws on the receptacle, with the tab between them removed. The white will be the neutral, and connects to either silver screw on the receptacle (with the tab still in place).

One trick we can consider is to replace the switch with a 3-way switch. This can be used to automatically cut off power to the dispenser whenever the disposal is on. This will keep you from blowing the breaker.
 
  #10  
Old 01-05-05, 06:30 PM
ampz's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 536
Hey John thats a great idea with the 3-way to switch from one appliance to another
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'