Electrical Outlet

Old 01-03-05, 06:27 PM
jew
Visiting Guest
Electrical Outlet

I've changed an outlet that used to be controlled by a switch. There was nothing wrong with the old outlet...just went from off white - white. Now the outlet works fine; only the switch doesn't run it anymore. Can certain outlets be switched and others not? I can't seem to see where I've wired what I have wrong. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-05, 06:29 PM
Post back and tell us how many and what color wires were connected to the old receptacle. Also, save that old one because we need ask you quastions about it.

Old 01-03-05, 06:36 PM
Also tell us if you remember whether both halves of the duplex receptacle were controlled by the switch, or only one half.

Old 01-03-05, 06:43 PM
jew
Visiting Guest
The outlet had red and black wires on one side (2 of each), and 2 whites on the other. There was also a ground wire.

I don't honestly know whether or not both sides were controlled by the switch. I'm doing someone a favor as I did this in my house and suggested it to them. Some help huh?

Old 01-03-05, 06:46 PM
There are little brass tabs that connect the metal from the top screw to the metal from the bottom screw. Was the brass tab there on the side that the black and red wires were on. I'm betting no. If not, break off the tab on the new receptacle and it should work like the old one did.

Old 01-03-05, 07:30 PM
jew
Visiting Guest
Hat's off...the tabs did the trick. Now let me ask one more favor...what did removing the tabs do? I'm figuring that the switch replaces the tab but my there were two outlets and neither would work unless both had the tabs removed. Thank you again.

Old 01-03-05, 07:44 PM
Most likely the red wire was switched and the black wire wasn't. With the tab intact, the black wire fed both sides of the duplex receptacle and it didn't matter if the switch feeding the red wire was on or off. The tab simply connects the "hot" sides of a duplex receptacle together. This serves two purposes. If there is only one hot wire in the box, both sides with be hot. Also, it is key to utilizing a receptacle as a feed-thru device without having to pigtail wires together .

Old 01-03-05, 07:45 PM
I think you meant that neither would be controlled by the switch unless the tab was removed. Basically, they short the two halves of the outlet together (top and bottom) This allows each half to be powered from a separate power source. With the tab in place, the switched half was powered from the contstant power half. Removing the tab breaks that connection allowing the switched half to be powered from the switch. On a side note, you were lucky that both halves of the receptacle were powered from the same phase, or else you would have a dead 240V short when you flipped the switch!