Outlet issues

Old 01-04-05, 09:00 AM
MelsMommy
Visiting Guest
Outlet issues

I have a waterbed that is plugged into an outlet that is behind the bed. The outlet is old (probably as old as the house--1976) and not "snug" in terms of prongs from the appilance cord. I noticed that my bed was a bit chilly, so I reached down and started to push the plug back in (I have cats that play under there and sometimes get tangled in the cord and pull it out). I noticed that the plug that is attched to the cord was warm. I unplugged it. I figure that I have to change the outlet (which is only a problem because the bed has to be drained in front of it). Is this something that I need to run home and do this afternoon after work or it is "safe" until the weekend? I am not interested in my house going up in flames..Please help. Thanks

Old 01-04-05, 09:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are there other symptoms?

Are there other symptoms of a fault developing? When you say the plug is warm do you mean just discernibly warm or too hot to touch comfortably? Was there any visible sparking or blue flashes? Was there an oder of burning or the smell of overheated rubber or plastic? Unless you are experiencing one or more of those symptoms I would think it would wait until the weekend.
--
Tom H

Old 01-04-05, 09:52 AM
MelsMommy
Visiting Guest
Not hot just warm, nothing that I couldn't touch. I really can't "see" the plug only feel it but I don't smell anything and I don't think there was any sparks, didn't notice any light and I was doing this at 1 am in the dark!! Thanks... you have made me feel a bit better about being at work today.

Old 01-04-05, 09:57 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the plug doesn't fit securely, either replace the receptacle or maybe just bend the plugs out a bit to give a better fit.

Old 01-04-05, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If anyone, including teenagers, will be at home while you are at work you should call them and tell them to call 911 if any of those symptoms develop. I would hope that the folks who share your life with you would already know that such calls are made from a cordless or cellular telephone from outside the house or from a neighbors home.
--
Tom H

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: