Concern Regarding Existing 3-Way Switch Wiring

Old 01-04-05, 10:06 AM
jjb
Visiting Guest
Concern Regarding Existing 3-Way Switch Wiring

While remodeling my basement, I discovered some wiring that has me concerned. I discovered a 3-way light switch rated at 10 AMPS (10A -120V) that is connected to both 12/3 and 14/2 wiring, which is all connected to a 20 AMP breaker. The circuit controls six flourescent lights, one duplex receptacle, the blower motor on my gas furnace, and my furnace mounted humidifier. There is also a 2nd 3-way light switch at the top of the basement stairs, however, I haven't checked the AMP rating on it yet. Isn't this wiriing cause for concern? I'm mostly concerned about the mismatching amp ratings among the breaker, the switch and the 14/2 wire. I've resided in this home for 7 years without experiencing a problem with this circuit, however, my limited electrical knowledge tells me this is a hazard. If my instincts are correct, how would I correct the problem? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-05, 10:10 AM
14-gauge wire on a 20-amp breaker is definitely a problem that should be corrected.

Switches only need to be rated sufficient to switch the load they control. But I would want at least a 15-amp switch here.