Subpanel backing to a closet.

Old 01-06-05, 04:25 PM
Subpanel backing to a closet.

Can you install a subpanel on the opposite side of a wall from a clothes closet? I know panels in a closet or bathroom are prohibited. Today txdiyguy very helpfully posted the following NEC quote when discussing a bare bulb in a closet:

410.8 Luminaires (Fixtures) in Clothes Closets.
(A) Definition.
Storage Space. The volume bounded by the sides and back closet walls and planes extending form the closet floor vertically to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft.) or the highest clothes-hanging rods and parallel to the walls at a horizontal distance of 600 mm (24 in.) from the sides and back of the closet walls, respectively, and continuing vertically to the closet ceiling parallel to the walls at a horizontal distance of 300 mm (12 in.) or the width of the shelf, whichever is greater; for a closet that permits access to both sides of a hanging rod, this space includes the volume below the highest rod extending 300 mm (12 in.) on either side of the rod on a plane horizontal to the floor extending the entire length of the rods.

It's the '24 inches from the sides and back of the closet walls" that has me confused. Is that the closest to a closet in any direction that you can install a panel? In my case I'd like to recess a subpanel into an interior wall (regular 2x4 sheetrock wall of a hallway), on the other side of which is a closet.

John, racraft, speedypetey et al, you guys are great. My favorite game is to read the problem, then try to predict what John will say to end the discussion.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-05, 04:56 PM
I see nothing wrong with a panel in the wall, as long as the panel open into the hall, and as long as the necessary clearances exist in the hall.