Leaving an unused breaker connected

Old 01-07-05, 05:30 AM
DocX
Visiting Guest
Leaving an unused breaker connected

I'm installing a new circuit and have one breaker slot left so I'm planning on using two slim breakers because I may need to install another one in the future. Since this other breaker is not going to be used, I'm wanting to know if it is agreeable with the NEC to leave a breaker unused/disconnected.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 01-07-05, 09:45 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No problem with installing an unused breaker. Will your panel allow the use of "slim" breakers?

Old 01-13-05, 06:22 AM
DocX
Visiting Guest
Late reply, I know, but I had gotten your message when you posted it. But I was going through the messages I was subscribed to and saw that I hadn't replied to yours.

Thanks a bunch! And, as for my breaker box supporting slim breakers, I'm not sure. I did, however, see a breaker that was essentially two slim breakers built into the body of a standard sized breaker--two lugs and one slot to attach to the bus. I thought this a better and easier idea anyway.

Thanks again, mc.

Old 01-13-05, 07:08 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That would be a slim, twin, piggyback, etc. breaker. Sometimes they are "illegally" modified and installed in a panel where they shouldn't be. The wiring diagram inside the panel cover would show if they are OK to use - also the catalog number would provide a clue. For instance a catalog with 1624 would indicate that there are 16 spaces (bus connections), but you can install 24 circuits (8 of the bus connections will only accept a regular breaker, whereas the other 8 would accept twins). A 2040 panel would have 20 bus connections, each of which would accept a twin breaker.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: