wire connections

Old 01-10-05, 10:37 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wire connections

Hi, I'm installing a new switch and two new lights. I have power going to light "A" first, then to light "B" and then to the switch. Will that work or will I need to rewire so that power goes to the switch first. If this will work what wires should be connected together?

Old 01-10-05, 11:11 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Anything can work with enough wire. But if you cable it as you indicated, you'll need three insulated conductors plus ground (black/red/white/bare) between the two light fixtures. It cannot be done with a black/white/bare cable between the fixtures. Here are the three primary options, using "-" to mean a black/white/bare cable, and "=" to mean a black/red/white/bare cable:
  • Power-L1=L2-S.
  • Power-S-L1-L2.
  • Power-L1-S, and L1-L2.

Old 01-10-05, 11:19 AM
T
It's best if you re-wire so that the power goes to the switch first. You could also do it the present way, but you will need a 3 conductors between the lights. You need the how conductor to go unswitched to the switch.

Basically you have white/black going to the first light, you have white/black/red going between light1 and light2 (with the blacks wirenuted together, and the white/red going to the fixture 1). At light2 you will have white/black/red coming from light1, and a black/red (or black white if using NM-B) going to the switch. Black is the unswitched hot, red is the switched hot). At light1 the blacks are wirenuted together/ The reds are also wirenuted together with a jumper going to light. The white wire goes to the light.

Old 01-10-05, 11:20 AM
T
I think John types faster then me...

Old 01-10-05, 11:39 AM
S
Okay, Thanks. It looks like it would be easier just to rewire. Just so that I make sure I understand, I'll rewire so that power goes to the switch first, then to light A and then to light B. At the switch I'll connect the incoming white to the outgoing white, incoming black and outgoing black to the switch terminals, then the wire between light A and B should be color to color (ie. whites to whites and blacks to blacks). Is this correct?

Old 01-10-05, 12:09 PM
T
That's correct.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: