Using an existing Outlet/Breaker...230v VS 250v

Old 01-09-05, 08:36 AM
DGHammonds
Visiting Guest
Post Using an existing Outlet/Breaker...230v VS 250v

Recently purchased a welder and it is rated for 30A 230V. I have 220 running throuhout my shop and have an unused outlet/breaker that is rated at 30A 250V. Is this a problem? The instructions say that I can use a time-delay fuse (UL Class RK5) or a normal operating fuse (UL Class K5). The circuit breaker I have says none of that. It was used to power a 24in bandsaw with a 4.6 h.p. motor on it. I went to my local Lowes but they were clueless. The welder also gives me an option to change jumper links to 200V at 35A... suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

DGHammonds

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-05, 11:21 AM
220V, 230V, 240V are all the same thing. In the US, you either have a 120/240V single-phase system (residential and commercial) or 120/208 3-phase system (commercial & industrial). The confusion comes because your local electric company may supply anywhere from 220-250 volts, and the voltage supplied may vary from house to house and at different times of the day. As a result, there isn't a "standard" voltage - some electricians and equipment manufacturers use 220, some 230, some 240.

If your equipment specifies a circuit rated at 230V, 30A, then whether your actual voltage is 224, 232, or 236 you will be fine. The 30A breaker installed in your panel will be fine as well. It is "rated" for 250 volts - in other words that is the maximum it has been tested for. 230 volts would obviously pose no problem to such a device.

The fusing information appears to tell you that if you were fusing down a circuit, or tapping off a feeder, you could either use time-delay or non time-delay fuses.

The jumper links would be needed if you were going to use the equipment on a 208 volt system.

Old 01-12-05, 12:54 AM
Where the instructions say time-delay fuse or normal operating fuse, it means that's not an issue. A motor might specify time-delay because of the excessive but brief inrush on startup. Welders are better behaved.