open ground

Old 01-09-05, 11:32 AM
open ground

Hi. I am wiring my basement and using a junction box to join old wires to nm cable. I clipped/attached the ground wire to the metal junction box and joined the wires accordingly. When I use a tester, it indicates there is an open ground. Do I need to attach the ground from the nm cable to something else or is that okay? One thing is that the original wires that I'm using to join the nm cable does not have a ground wire. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-05, 11:34 AM
So what your saying is that the old wires don't have a ground? If so there's your open ground.

Old 01-09-05, 12:21 PM
open ground - question for Todd

Thanks for the quick reply Todd! So how do I fix the open ground when the original wires do not have one? Also, do I risk a fire or is it dangerous to have an open ground? Thanks!

Old 01-09-05, 12:29 PM
I would try and figure out why the old wires don't have a ground. Is it an old house? Do other recepticles have grounds? There's the chance of being shocked...which could kill.

Old 01-09-05, 12:52 PM
Its not going to matter if the other wires in the house have a ground. The fact is the one you are dealing with doesnt. Only way is to pull a new cable from the panel. Some will say to run a ground wire but you might as well run a whole new cable of modern wiring. The other fact is you are not allowed to extend ungrounded wiring.

Old 01-09-05, 01:08 PM
If your house was built before grounding was standard, then there is nothing to "fix". Your best bet is to ignore all the existing wiring and run new circuits for your basement all the way back to the main panel.

Old 01-09-05, 02:08 PM
With no ground, you cannot legally extend this circuit. Attaching to this circuit violated NEC code.

Your only solution is to either properly ground the existing circuit at the junction box where you tapped in or to run a new line from the panel to the first of your new circuits, and bypass the old circuit entirely.

Old 01-09-05, 02:53 PM
thanks

thanks for the quick reply! Looks like I have a little more work to do.