No power to new GFCI?

Old 01-09-05, 12:17 PM
C HOP
Visiting Guest
Question No power to new GFCI?

The existing GFCI tripped while the iron was plugged into it. The plug seperated from the cord when the GFCI tripped, which I thought was pretty unusual. Anyway, I removed the plug, and reset the GFCI, however no power came back on. I then reset the circuit breaker, just in case. Still no power was going to that outlet. (Note: only two outlets are wired to the circuit. The other outlet has power going to it.) I figured the GFCI is just bad. So, I purchased and installed a new GFCI. I followed all of the instructions. When I turned the power back on, and tried to test the GFCI, I got the same result. No power to the outlet. I did a little troubleshooting to make sure I had the wires in the correct place. However, still no power to the outlet.

What could be the problem? Power is definitly flowing through the circuit, since the other outlet is perforiming. I'm stumped.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-05, 12:34 PM
Does does the gfci get its power from the other receptacle that works?

Old 01-09-05, 12:40 PM
I'll jump ahead to what Roger is going to say after you answer his question. There's a failed connection in the box containing the other receptacle. Move backstabbed connections (wires poked into holes) in that box to the adjacent screws.

Old 01-09-05, 12:42 PM
C HOP
Visiting Guest
I don't believe so. There are no wires coming from the existing GFCI to the other plug.

Old 01-09-05, 12:46 PM
C HOP
Visiting Guest
Maybe I misunderstood everything I've read. Are you saying that the other operating plug is feeding the GFCI? I understood it to be the other way around.

Old 01-09-05, 12:56 PM
Not necessarily the gfci may be wired to only protect itself did the gfci have wires connected to the load terminals?

Old 01-09-05, 01:01 PM
C HOP
Visiting Guest
No. There are only the two wires (white & black) attached the GFCI. I guess that's why I figured that this GFCI was a stand alone, like the other plug. By the way, the other plug isn't a GFCI. It's primary use is for the washer & dryer.

Old 01-09-05, 01:07 PM
Ok then this gfci is an end of run, that makes sense now determine if that gfci gets its power from the other receptacle. Turn the power off and do as John suggested, if you dont have backstabbed wiring then double check all the connections in wire nuts and on the receptacle. Are both these receptacles in the laundry?

Old 01-09-05, 01:12 PM
It just came to me that if you thought this gfci fed the other receptacle that you may have connected your wires to the load terminals if so the gfci wont work as an end of run move the wires to the line terminals if this is the case.

Old 01-09-05, 01:17 PM
C HOP
Visiting Guest
Yes, both plugs are within the laundry. I removed the cover plate from the other plug, as John suggested. As with the GFCI, there are only the two wires. I've removed the first wire from the screw post in order to backstab the wire. However, the wire isn't going in. It appears the holes are too small for the wire. Thus leading me to believe that they should be attached to the screw post.

Old 01-09-05, 01:20 PM
If there is only one cable with two wires then this outlet does not feed the gfci. Also is there a bare ground wire in the boxes? Read my post proir to your most recent reply about how you wired the gfci.

Old 01-09-05, 01:26 PM
C HOP
Visiting Guest
I double checked my connections on the GFCI. They are attached to line post. The load post are covered with the factory yellow strip. I initially thought I had it installed incorrectly, and switched the connection, as part of my troubleshooting. I've since re-installed the wires to the line post, since all directions indicated the load post were for additional outlets.

Old 01-09-05, 01:32 PM
So does the problem still exist?

I think if you rewire that other receptacle as suggested earlier, you can fix this problem a lot faster than continuing to talk about it.

Old 01-09-05, 01:35 PM
Ok then you need to determine what loses power on this circuit when the breaker is turned off. The gfci may be getting its power from a light fixture before the power goes to the switch. If only two wires from one cable are in a box then these are end of run outlets and dont feed anything. You are ging to have to open up every electrical box on this circuit and check the things John mentioned....sorry at this point there isnt much left. Are you sure the washer is on the same circuit with this other receptacle is isnt unusual to have the washer on a circuit by itself.

Old 01-09-05, 01:46 PM
C HOP
Visiting Guest
This circuit only has the two outlets, with each outlet having a black and a white wire. I've opened each receptacle as you mentioned.

I'll repeat this process again. Could the new GFCI be bad? Just curious.

Old 01-09-05, 01:51 PM
Then you have a junction box your going to have to find.

Old 01-09-05, 01:57 PM
C HOP
Visiting Guest
Thank you Roger & John for your assistance. I appreciate the advice.

Old 01-09-05, 03:25 PM
It's a rare circuit that serves two receptacles and nothing else. The rest of the loads on this circuit may be a long distance from these two. Check again. If this GFCI is in a bathroom, the other outlets may be in the garage, the basement, the front and back porch, and other bathrooms.

Where exactly are these two receptacles anyway?

Old 01-09-05, 06:26 PM
John, he mentioned earlier that these receptacles are both in the laundry.

Old 01-09-05, 07:42 PM
Thanks Roger. I had missed that.

So now I believe that these two receptacles are indeed the only things on the circuit, since code requires that laundry area receptacles be on a circuit with nothing else. It is somewhat unusual, however, to see GFCI on a laundry circuit.

What is now very suspicious is that each receptacle box contains only one black wire and one white wire, and no more. So I would suggest that C HOP double-check that. Are you sure that one of the boxes doesn't have two black wires and two white wires coming into it? Might there be two wires of the same color might be spliced together in the back of the box with one one wire presented for connection to the receptacle. It's just hard to believe that someone would put in an extra junction box.

Please also tell us in what year the house was built.

Old 01-09-05, 08:53 PM
C Hop I dont know if you will come back to the thread but you misunderstood John, Dont move the wires to the backstabs remove them from the backstabs and put them under the screws. It sounds as though yours were under screws however. One last thing it is possible your house was built before the requirement for receptacles in laundries to be on the same circuit. Reason for Johns question. You havent mentioned a ground wire in the boxes with the other wires. Is there a ground wire or metal type conduit? This might be the reason for the gfci which is rather odd for a modern laundry as John mentioned. Lastly you havent mentioned checking voltage on the wires with a tester at the gfci. This would help in determining if this receptacle is on the same circuit. It is possible that a different breaker than you think is tripped sometimes it is hard to tell and you need to reset all of them to be sure, might want to check. If you find out please post back I would like to know what you find. Thanks