Rewiring Christmas Lights to shorten the strand

Old 01-03-05, 09:08 AM
Dodge3078
Visiting Guest
Cool Rewiring Christmas Lights to shorten the strand

I am attempting to help my girlfriend make some wine bottle lamps, and the one she saw had christmas lights in the inside...now I have been fine through cutting a hole in the back for the lights to fit, but the only lights I can find are TOO long (and also have the plug at both ends to connect multiple strands).

I'd like to know how to cut, and re-splice the strand (basically taking a chunk out of the middle, or the end since the female plug end is TOO big for my hole).

HELP!! Thank you in advance for any advice!!

Old 01-03-05, 09:14 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Depending on the voltage of the bulbs, this is probably a recipe for disaster. Unless each bulb is a 120-volt bulb (not true for very many light strands sold these days), the bulbs may explode if you remove some.

Old 01-03-05, 09:19 AM
Dodge3078
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks a bunch, John. I certainly would have found out the hard way!!

Old 01-11-05, 01:00 PM
Edwardo
Visiting Guest
It may be a bit late for this, but you should be able to find strings of Christmas lights ( well, maybe not now, but closer to next Christmas! ) with as few as 25 lights and no plug on the other end. I have seen the greatest variety ( as far as string length, single color vs multi color vs clear, plugs on both ends or not ) at craft stores like Hobby Lobby.

I don't know if 25 lights would still be too many, but it might work out ok.

As an aside, my wife and I attended a craft show recently where someone had taken glass block, drilled a hole in it, then inserted a string of christmas lights. I thought that it was actually a pretty cool effect.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: