Wiring garage for welder and compressor

Old 01-10-05, 12:38 AM
johnjk
Visiting Guest
Wiring garage for welder and compressor

I want to wire my attached garage for a welder and a compressor. I now have a 225 amp GE service panel with 2 slots open. I can't use the 1/2" breakers in this box. It's about 20' to my garage from the main panel (that includes going up walls and such). I'm thinking of wiring a 50 amp breaker for the welder and a 30 amp breaker for the compressor. I obviously need to add a sub panel. Would it be better to move some of my 110v out of the main panel to the sub panel and wire my welder and compressor to the main panel? Can you guys give me some ideas on the best way to do this, including wire sizes and breaker sizes? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-05, 06:35 AM
A small subpanel right next to the main panel is usually not that difficult. It is better to keep your heaviest loads in the main panel and move your lighter loads to the subpanel.

I would suggest a 12-space (or more) subpanel fed from a 60-amp double-pole breaker in the main over 6/3 cable. Make sure you buy a separate grounding bar kit for your subpanel and do not install the bonding screw or strap in the subpanel. Move some of the 120-volt loads to the subpanel.

Old 01-10-05, 08:05 PM
johnjk
Visiting Guest
That sounds fairly easy. Thanks John.

Old 01-11-05, 06:49 AM
I'm sorry that Jerry decided to delete his post. He had expressed the opinion that this is a job best left to the pros. This is a valid opinion and one shared by many people. We can't tell the technical knowledge or skill level of the posters here, so any one piece of advice isn't necessarily the best for any one specific person. I believe our mission here is best served if people hear a variety of opinions.

Installing a subpanel is definitely not a good project for somebody who's never even replaced a receptacle, but it is a reasonable project for a homeowner with a lot of electrical knowledge and experience behind them. And of course, no electrical project is a good idea for somebody who thinks they already know everything and therefore does not do the necessary preparation and study.

Bottom line is that we hope each individual is a good judge of their own abilities and limitations. Of course we all know people who are not good at these kind of judgments and attempt things they should not. Sometimes but not always we can guess at a person's skill level by how they ask a question. It's pretty clear that johnjk is not clueless, but beyond that it's hard to judge.

Make good decisions.