GE TV wont turn on

Old 01-10-05, 02:32 PM
kwright
Visiting Guest
GE TV wont turn on

HI There All,
We had a power outage and now my ge tv model 8-2668 doesn't turn on. I took the cover off and nothing looks burned inside, and I had it on a surge protector. I am wondering if it could be a fuse maybe, but i can't find one. Anyone know where it might be please?

Thank You!
Kim

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-05, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Taking the cover off a TV and poking around is very dangerous. TVs have very high voltages in them and you can easily kill yourself. Repairing a TV is NOT a do it yourself project.

If you have verified that you have proper power at the receptacle and therefor going into the TV, and the TV still doesn't work then you need to have the TV repaired.

What type of surge suppressor did you have installed, and is your receptacle properly grounded?

Old 01-10-05, 03:19 PM
Last big power surge we had while our Sony was turned on killed the power supply. It was on a surge protector as well, but I was told that low power can be as deadly to electronics as high power. Also, a surge protector will allow some voltage above normal. I now have all my A/V electronics on a UPS.

I might suggest that you try your original post on the electronics forum instead of the electrical forum. Might get some better answers there.

Doug M.

Old 01-10-05, 06:06 PM
A UPS, or Surge protector is no good unless you have everything protected...like the cable going into your TV. Did you have the cable protected as well. I have a surge protector - I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention brand names so I won't - the protects the Power, Cable and Phones lines. Inexpensive and well worth it. It even comes with a $10000 replacement warranty...but I don't know how that works.

With TV guts...DON'T POKE. Even if unpluged...there are capacitors in there all powered up and just waiting to unleash it's power on something or someone. Take it to a TV reapair and let them look at it.