NEMA 5-20P Convert to NEMA 5-15P

Old 01-11-05, 09:05 AM
akant
Visiting Guest
NEMA 5-20P Convert to NEMA 5-15P

I have a device I am wanting to use which will work with a 15 or 20 amp circuit. However all I have are NEMA 5-15P plugs and the device has NEMA 5-20P plugs. Are there converters out there to change these plugs? Something similar to going from a three prong to a two prong?

Thanks for your help all!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-05, 10:22 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I believe what you mean is that you have all 5-15R receptacles. (The R is for receptacle, the P is for plug.) Any device that has a 5-20P plug is to be used only on a 20 amp circuit. Any device with that plug style should not be used on a 15 amp circuit. That's why they are required to provide the 5-20P plug. Also, no receptacle connected to a 15 amp breaker or fuse should be a 5-20R. I would determine which 20 amp circuit or circuits in my home I would use this device on and change the receptacle nearest where it would be used to a 5-20R. You probably know this but I'll mention it - a 5-20R receptacle will accomodate either standard 5-15P and 5-20P plugs.

Juice.

Old 01-11-05, 10:40 AM
akant
Visiting Guest
Juice,

You are correct I have 5-15R's in my home but for some reason the breakers which connect to these circuits are rated at 20amp. So I was wondering if given my setup if I could use a a converter of sort to convert the 5-20P to work with a 5-15R or could I just replace the 5-15R with a 5-20R. If I have the correct 20amp circuit and not the correct recpticle can I still replace it even if there may other other 5-15R's hangling off the circuit?

Old 01-11-05, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are no converters to allow a 20a cord end to be plugged into a 15a receptacle. The 5-20p is on the deivce you have because of its higher amp draw. Juice is right, if you can change a receptacle on one of the 20a circuits to a 5-20R receptacle.You'll want to choose a circuit that has the fewest loads on it to avoid tripping the breaker.You must be certain it is a 20a circuit as installing a 20a receptacle on a 15a circuit is a code violation.