Service Panel Upgrade Question!!!


Old 01-11-05, 01:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Service Panel Upgrade Question!!!

Hello All,

I have a friend who owns a small store and he needs to upgrade his electrical panel.

Current one is to Small.......

He has an electrician comming in to do the rewiring and pulling the permit
he wants me to expand the existing opening for the new Service Panel to fit...

My Question is:

is there any Specific code for just enlarging the opening?

Can I just box frame the opening with Metal Studs "Track"?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-05, 05:29 PM
Speedy Petey's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,455
This is the electrician's job IMO. I have to do this all the time, and sometimes it's a PIA. Most good electricians are 1/8 carpenter. I fancy myself a pretty good one. I carry a circular saw and Impulse framing gun in my van.

If you insist on doing it before the electrician, get the panel dimensions from him and frame the opening on the sides just like conventional framing. Leave the top and bottom clear.
If you can't get this info just let him do his thing and finish around him after.
Old 01-11-05, 07:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Yeah I kinda thought that this was his job.....


He already informed the Owner that he wanted me to do this....

Kinda upsetting in a way being that I would have to work My Schedule around there's and have to be there at the same time with them... Just waiting for them to disconnect everything for me to just "Track it out"

thank you for your input.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes