Additional Wiring in Garage

Old 01-11-05, 03:34 PM
Additional Wiring in Garage

First of all, I would like to say that I am completly new here and I have very little knowledge when it comes to wiring.

My wife and I recently bought a small house that is 11 yrs old. Whoever designed the garage, did not have lighting on his mind. There is a single wall-mounted light fixture in the back of the garage, and that is it. Except for the garage door circuit, there is no place for me to plug in additional lights.

In a nutshell, I want to add 4 outlets into the garage overhead. In the future, I would like to add two cariage lights to the front of the garage on the same circuit. I have a 220 line that goes to the laundry room for an electric dryer that I never plan on using. Is it possible to turn that circuit into a garage circuit? And if it is possible, how hard is it to do for a newbie? What is involved? I am not a big tool user. I occasionally run a saw/drill and I have a 120V air compressor that I use occasionally. I have a brand new medium sized feezer plugged in as well but I don't know what breaker it is one. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-05, 04:32 PM
My advice is that you leave the dryer circuit alone. Even though you don;t think you will ever use it, you just may, and the next owner of the house may want it. Plus, it's not good for anything more than a small sub panel anyway.

If I were you I would run two new circuits to the garage. I would put your lights on one and your receptacles on the other. I would make them both 20 amp circuits.

To see if this is eomthing you may want to tackle, I suggest that you buy or borrow one or two books on home electrical wiring, and read them. This will give you an idea as to what is involved.

Old 01-11-05, 06:24 PM
Anybody who plans to use their garage for anything more than parking cars should definitely install an extra circuit or two or three. Converting a dryer circuit, although possible, is almost never a good idea.

Old 01-11-05, 08:19 PM
Thanks

I think I will scratch the idea of using the dryer circuit. I checked the circuit board and I do have a couple of slots available. How do I know if I have enough to run two more circuit breakers? My main breaker is 100A. Below that I have 4 15A breakers (two teamed together), 2 20A breakers, and one 120/240 breaker.

Old 01-12-05, 04:29 AM
The breakers presently in your box are not an issue. Their total when added together is meaningless. If all you are adding is a few lights and general purpose circuits then you don't need to worry about how much power will be used. If you don't have a problem now then you won't have a problem after you add these new circuits.