Flexible conduit

Old 01-11-05, 07:11 PM
Flexible conduit

Does anyone know what is and isn't acceptable use of flexible conduit? Is it only to be used to protect wires in walls, for lighting above drop ceilings etc or can it be used to run from that drop ceiling down to a surface mounted receptacle?

Thx

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-05, 07:21 PM
I assume you are talking about FMC. There are at least four other kinds of flexible conduit. FMC is allowed in exposed and concealed locations. It is not allowed in wet locations, in hoistways, in storage battery rooms, in hazardous locations, where exposed to oil or gasoline, underground, embedded in concrete or aggregate, or where subject to physical damage.

The specific question you asked is a judgment call for your inspector, but it's probably okay.

Old 01-11-05, 07:58 PM
Yes, I meant metal. I'm using a 1 1/4 emt conduit run to a pull box and then dropping 3 50 amp receps down surface mounted on the wall. I could use either emt of fmc but wasn't sure...

thx John

Old 01-12-05, 07:25 AM
How many wires do you plan on using for the 50-amp receptacles?

Old 01-12-05, 05:44 PM
Each 50 amp ckt will be 3 #6 wires. So each of the duel 1 1/4 emt runs will have 9 #6 wires, plus a ground wire. It will all be in emt, as it turned out I didn't need to use fmc.