grounded outlets

Old 01-12-05, 03:14 PM
grounded outlets

i just got an outlet tester and im happy to say all my outlets in my house are grounded .my only problem is my outside outlets.my outside outlet is tapped into an ac outlet in my house which is not used.the ac outlet is grounded inside,but outside is wired using romex and i know the hot and the nuteral are connected to the ac outlet,but the ground was never hooked to anything....so now i am hoping i can just rerun all the outside wiring in conduit and hook the ground wire to the green screw on the ac outlet...im assuming this will continue the ground to the outside outlets...basicaly the is 2 outlets running off the ac outlet to my pond pump and uv light.also am going to put gfi outlets outside near the pond....thaks for all the help and the advice on the outlet tester,best 5.00 i ever spent....

Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-05, 04:27 PM
If I understand what you are saying, yes you should be able to hook up the ground wire and have grounded outside receptacle.

Several cautions. Any outside receptacle should be GFCI protected. Make this outside receptacle a GFCI receptacle.

Where is this receptacle, and how is it wired. If the receptacle is on an outside wall of the house then it can simply be a GFCI receptacle. However, if this receptacle is some distance from the house (any distance from the house) then the wiring leading to the receptacle may need to be GFCI protected, and it needs to be special wire. Regular NM type cable is not suitable outside.

Old 01-13-05, 01:34 AM
ra the main outside outlet is right on the house ,back to back with the interior ac outlet.....the other 2 outside outlets are about 50 feet of wire away from the house..could you give me an idea of an outside type wire that will be good to use .now it is run with a plain white romex wire.no names or numbers on it,could also be cause it is just laying next to the retaining wall on my property not in conduit. thats why i want to redo it,even though all is working well,which doesnt mean it is right,as i learned on this board ..thanks

Last edited by lovmy4x4; 01-13-05 at 01:37 AM. Reason: missing piont
Old 01-13-05, 04:34 AM
If this wire is outside then I hope that it is NOT Romex (NM), but instead is UF wire.

You have two options.

You can use UF wire, which is suitable for direct burial. The other option is to use individual conductors that are run in conduit. For safety, you should have a GFCI receptacle on the side of the house, and protect these wires on the load side of the GFCI.

Old 01-13-05, 04:59 AM
thanks ra...im going to use uf cable and also but it in conduit,cause i have a large concrete patio and its not possible to bury.thanks for the help i appreciate it .

Old 01-13-05, 05:06 AM
one more thing. is it ok to have the outside wiring tapped into the 15 amp ac outlet.the ac outlet in the house is un used.and out side i have a 3 amp pond pump,a 100 watt ultraviolet light,and a couple of outlets in my shed.i am thinking in a year or so to have an electrican come in and run a line or 2 outside,or maybe possibly a sub panel in my shed for my out lines.
another question is to run a sub panel from my house,the lenght would be about 70feet,would it be possible to run 70 feet of wire to a sub panel..

Old 01-13-05, 12:45 PM
is it ok to have the outside wiring tapped into the 15 amp ac outlet
Yes, as long as that circuit does not serve a kitchen, bathroom, dining room or laundry area.

would it be possible to run 70 feet of wire to a sub panel
Yes.