New Outlet/securing romex question

Old 01-13-05, 08:42 AM
New Outlet/securing romex question

I am adding a recessed clock outlet for a plasma TV. Plan was to tie it in to an existing outlet which is a couple stud cavities over, so I will be fishing it up one cavity, over and down where the new outlet will be. What is the requirement for securing the new wiring in the wall? Its an outside wall, so fishing is going to be fun anyway, but do I need to open the wall cavity completely to secure it to the studs as you would in new construction?

Thanks!
Craig

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-05, 12:32 PM
You need not secure it at all.

Old 01-13-05, 12:32 PM
There is no requirement for strapping the wire inside the wall, but how do you plan on fishing the wire between the stud cavities?

Old 01-13-05, 12:49 PM
Plan was to go up and over, though not sure yet if I can. Its an exterior wall, floor joists run parallel to the wall, so not sure if I have anywhere to do the "over" part. Otherwise I'll be knocking a few extra holes in the drywall to run it through the studs.

Old 01-13-05, 01:05 PM
Is it possible to fish the wire from the existing receptacle down into the crawl space, and then up into the bay where the new receptacle will be located?

Old 01-13-05, 01:13 PM
I wish, since I have an unfinished basement! Unfortunately the outlet is going above a direct vent fireplace, so I can't come up from underneath.

Old 01-13-05, 01:21 PM
If you're plasma will be covering the wall, you can cut and patch without worrying about finishing and painting.

Can you run up into the attic and back down?

Can you tap power up in the attic and run down to the new receptacle?

There is usually a way to get from point A to point B without having to mess with sheetrock.