Simple outlet question

Old 01-13-05, 10:37 AM
jjae36
Visiting Guest
Simple outlet question

I switched a two prong outlet to a three prong. There were four wires, two black, two white. Do I need a ground? If so, how would I go about hooking it up.

Old 01-13-05, 12:25 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you have no ground, then you have almost certainly created a code violation.

If the box is metal, run a jumper from the green screw on the receptacle to the metal box. This may or may not provide grounding, so you need to test it with an outlet tester ($8 at any home center) after you do this.

If the box is not metal, then you can't ground the receptacle.

The only way to get grounding at an outlet if you don't have it already is to replace all the wiring on the circuit. It is usually easier to run a new grounded circuit than to do this.

You can legally install ungrounded 3-hole receptacles if you provide GFCI protection. Of course this doesn't provide grounding.

There are certain limitations that you must accept in any old house. You either have to live without grounding, or spend big bucks.

Old 01-14-05, 10:06 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you replace a 2-prong with a GFCI 3-prong, it and any downstream 3-prong receptacles it feeds must bear a label that says "no equipment ground". That will satisfy Code. GFCIs come with a little sheet of stickers that are used for this labeling.

Juice

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: