Basement framing with Metal studs

Old 01-15-05, 05:50 AM
mlips
Visiting Guest
Basement framing with Metal studs

I am refinishing my basement and decided to use metal studs for the walls. Are there any good guidelines / tips@tricks for electrical wiring? What type of boxes I should and use and what's the best way to attach to the metal studs?

Old 01-15-05, 03:11 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't see metal studs in residential single family homes but I assume you got a deal or have a reason for using metal.

I personally like to use a 4" square box with side brackets for screwing to metal stud or Caddy H2-3 bracket screwed to stud with 4" square and plaster (device) ring. Size plaster ring(s) 1/8" deeper than gypsum board.

Be certain to use snap in bushings in each hole romex passes through for protection.

Don't forget green grounding screws or grounding pigtails for each box.

I use tyraps for supporting romex vertically keeping cables in center of stud.

Old 01-15-05, 04:33 PM
Also protect the sill steel stud against the floor if in the basment. It will get rusty and fail over time if the area is damp.

Old 01-15-05, 04:48 PM
Wink

Like said put the bottom plate on top of P/T 2X4. All homes down here have all of the inside walls of steel studs.

ED

Old 01-21-05, 06:29 PM
Handyman5912
Visiting Guest
Post Working with metal studs

Here's an excellent site that explains how to work with metal studs. Plenty of drawings and photos. Enjoy!

http://www.ou.edu/architecture/dcns/.../index.htm#top

Old 01-25-05, 06:22 AM
It is important that metal stud assemblies be grounded. You can achieve this by using metal device boxes attached with metal screws, or if you are using non-metalic boxes then the metal stud assembly needs to be attached to ground.

See the attached safety notice from the Ontario Electrical Safety Authority...http://www.esainspection.net/pdf/fsn/01_04_fl.pdf

With secure bonding to ground, the overcurrent device will trip if the metal stud assembly becomes energized, thereby preventing possibly serious electric shock.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: