3 baseboard heaters and 1 wall thermostat - how to wire?

Old 01-15-05, 09:04 PM
tippsand
Visiting Guest
3 baseboard heaters and 1 wall thermostat - how to wire?

I have (3) 240v baseboard heaters to put on three different walls in my attic. I would like to control them all from one wall mounted thermostat.
I have 12/2 running to each heater location from one central junction box; none of the runs are tied to the other.
How do I wire this whole mess together?
It seems to me that the thermostat gets power from the breaker and then the heater runs are all connected to it (three blacks pigtailed and three whites pigtailed, with the pigtails connecting to terminals on the thermostat).
Can someone confirm this or correct me if I'm wrong?

Thanks,

Sandy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-05, 06:52 AM
Run your power to the thermostat using 12-2. This should be protected by a 20 amp 240 volt breaker.

At the thermostat connect the incoming hot wires to the thermostat line connections. Connect the thermostat load lines to a piece of 12-2 that runs to your junction box. At the junction box connect all wires of the same color together (all the blacks together, all the whites together and all the grounds together.

Old 01-16-05, 08:45 AM
First you need to know the total wattage of the 3 heaters. I don't know where you live but here in Canada you can't go over 3750watts on one circut.

Old 01-16-05, 08:00 PM
tippsand
Visiting Guest
Followup question

That confirms what I had thought! You guys rock.
Secondly, this needs to be a double pole 20A breaker? (not a regular ole' 20A, correct?) In this case, black and white wires will be carrying 120v, yes?
Thanks,

Sandy

Old 01-16-05, 08:24 PM
Yes, you need a double pole breaker. And not a tandem or twin breaker. It needs to be a full 2" wide.

The black and white wires are each 120 volts relative to ground, but that's immaterial. The fact that they are 240 volts relative to each other is what's important.

Old 01-16-05, 08:48 PM
What is the total wattage of the 3 heaters?

Old 01-16-05, 09:45 PM
Todd's right. Wire guage means nothing until total wattage of heaters is known.

Sandy, give us total wattage of the 3 heaters and you'll get help to safely inatall your heaters. Thanks.

Old 01-17-05, 12:17 PM
It's going to be 12 guage no matter what. I just wanna know what the total is to see if he/she is over a certain amount.

Old 01-17-05, 12:32 PM
tippsand
Visiting Guest
I actually haven't bought the heaters yet - I am aware of the limitation on wattage, though. I think I read that 12/2 @ 20A has a limit of 3840 watts... I'm looking at 4' heaters @ 250W / ft (which is standard, apparently). Sound right?

Thanks, guys!

Sandy