Upgrading Bathroom vanity light and adding GFI

Old 01-17-05, 09:33 AM
TheRhino
Visiting Guest
Upgrading Bathroom vanity light and adding GFI

I have a medicine cabinet in my bathroom that has 2 flourencent lights and a single outlet in it (all prewired in the old med cabinet). I want to remove the med cabinet all together and add a wall hanging vanity light with switch and a GFI receptical in the wall. I've removed the medicine cabinet and am left with 12-2 wire. I'm pretty sure this is possible, and I know how, but thought i'd check with the experts first (You all have been a great help thus far!!!)

here is my plan.

1. Add a junction box to the existing wire stub, connect it to a new wire and run it to the new location of the GFI outlet and switch for the new light.

2. Connect the black and white wires to the incoming feed positions on the 20 amp GFI.

3. On outgoing feed from the GFI, connect black to the switch (feed)

4. on the other switch connector (feed to light), connect black to the wire that goes to the new light.

5. Wire nut the white wires from the light fixture and from the outgoing GFI switch together.

6. Wire nut all grounds together

Is this right??

Can I run 14-2 to the light and use a 15amp switch, even if its being powered by a 20 amp breaker?

Old 01-17-05, 09:51 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is there just one 12/2 cable at the medicine cabinet?

Is there just one existing wall switch that controls both the medicine cabinet light and receptacle?

Do you want your new receptacle to be switched by the wall switch?

Do you want your new light to be GFCI protected (okay, but not typical)?

Are you adding a new switch?

You can use a 15-amp switch, but you may not use 14-gauge wire.

Old 01-17-05, 10:29 AM
TheRhino
Visiting Guest
Sorry.. i thought I had provided enough details. Here are the answers to your questions:

Is there just one 12/2 cable at the medicine cabinet? Yes. all I'm left with after removing and disconnecting the old medicine cabinet is about 4 inches of 12-2 wire.

Is there just one existing wall switch that controls both the medicine cabinet light and receptacle? No. This wire is not controlled by an existing switch, its 'hot'

Do you want your new receptacle to be switched by the wall switch? No. I'd like it to be 'live' all the time. I'd like the switch to only control the light.

Do you want your new light to be GFCI protected (okay, but not typical)? Doesn't need to be, but i was assuming it would be since it would be downstream from the outlet. Is it better to wire the switch first, then the outlet?

Are you adding a new switch? Yes. The outlet, switch and light are all new.

Old 01-17-05, 11:09 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Then your plan is correct. It's up to you whether you GFCI protect the light or not. I guess you might as well.

Make sure all junction boxes, including the one where your old medicine cabinet is, remain permanently accessible. That means that you can't cover up this box containing the splice to the GFCI.

Last edited by John Nelson; 01-17-05 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-17-05, 12:23 PM
TheRhino
Visiting Guest
Great!! Thanks for the help. I will let you know how it turns out later this week!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: