heater-central

Old 01-17-05, 09:13 AM
Angry heater-central

I am having a problem with a fuse overheating. The service is to a heating element in my central heat. I have switched out the curcuit and that fuse heats up as well. I have also bypassed the wire to the heater to no avail. I know it is not the service or line. Why is this heater causing my fuse to heat up so bad??

Thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-05, 09:19 AM
A fuse always heats up. When it heats up too much, it burns out?

Where exactly is this fuse? In the panel or at the furnace? Is it burning out? How hot is is getting? How many amps is it (the number written on it)? Is is really a fuse or is it a breaker? What problem is it causing?

Old 01-17-05, 04:47 PM
heater

Hey John, great to here from you!

Yes, a fuse, cartridge style, at the main fuse box. There are 2- 60 amp feeding that 220 heater. The heater is an element type at the air handler part of central heat and air conditioner.

Real hot!! Stinking burning hot! . It will run until I have to pull it when the room starts to stink of hot ceramics and metal and the terminals will burn you if you touch them. I switched the wires to the heater unit with a stove of equal amps and those fuses heated up as well. I ran copper wire from the heater to the fuse panel as a bypass to see if the wire was at fault (its a large aluminium) Still heats up. I pulled the coil and checked it visually and found a dead mummy rat fried to the power and ground, scraped his ass off, cleaned up and tightened connections but same condition.

I also cleaned off the terminals at the panels and switched out the fuses. No go

Why would this heater be drawing so much current?

I did have a fuse blow at that panel and I assume thats when the trouble started.

Thanks again

Rob

Old 01-18-05, 09:22 AM
Sounds to me like it's the wrong size fuse for the circuit. Somebody probably upped the fuse size some time in the past. Check the gauge of the wire and make sure the fuse size is correct for that gauge and type of wire.

Old 01-24-05, 08:34 AM
Hi John

Are you saying that a fuse that is rated to high can cause this condition??

I assumed that a larger gauge fuse allows current to pass more freely. I replaced this fuse with the same that I removed, a 60 amp. If I step these down to say 35 or 40 amp could this relieve the problem??

"Sounds to me like it's the wrong size fuse for the circuit. Somebody probably upped the fuse size some time in the past. Check the gauge of the wire and make sure the fuse size is correct for that gauge and type of wire."

thank you

Rob

Old 01-24-05, 08:40 AM
You need to find out what the correct fuse size is for the load and wiring and use that fuse size. You don't want to either increase or decrease the fuse size on a hunch.

Do you know if the wire on this circuit is also getting hot? Is there some place where you can feel it?

You might want to have a pro come out and do an on-site inspection to see if you have a problem or not.

Old 01-24-05, 09:01 AM
Man, your quick,

I will check the rating on the unit and fuse it accordingly. If no go I will call sparky.

The wires at fuse panel, warm up (to the heater) not hot, I do not know about the service side but the prongs that hold the fuses get stinking hot

Rob