Additional outlet

Old 01-17-05, 04:49 PM
Ranbau
Visiting Guest
Question Additional outlet

I am adding an outlet to the backside wall of my stairwell, feeding off a two-way switch from a set of 3 stair lights. I have run a piggyback from the switch to the outlet but I have no power. The lights still work, any hints??

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-05, 04:53 PM
If you have 2 switches (3 way configuration) you're out of luck.

If you have a "regular" switch, you may be in luck, assuming you have 2 sets of wires coming into the switch box. If you only have 1 set then it can't be done.

Tell us the wires and the type of switch (how many screws) the box has. You need both a hot and a neutral to make an outlet work.

Either way, you can't simply just use the 2 conductors on the switch. They are both at the same potential, and they are both hot (hopefully).

Old 01-17-05, 04:59 PM
Ranbau
Visiting Guest
The wire coming in to the switch at the top of the steps appears to be a 14-3 ( black, white, red and ground , there is a switch at the bottom of the stairs as well. Are you saying I would have to power from a 14-2 source?

Old 01-17-05, 05:20 PM
You may or may not be able to power a receptacle from this setup. To do so there must be a neutral in the switch box and there must be constant power in the box.

Remove the cover plate and the screw holding the switch in place, then gently pull out the switch without disconnecting the wires. Tell us about all the wires in the box. how many there are, what color they are, and how they are connected.

Old 01-17-05, 05:29 PM
Ranbau
Visiting Guest
The wire coming into the switch is (14-3) B,W,R,Gd. They are pushed into the back of the switch and not attached to the screw. Red is top right, white is top left, black is lower right and ground is lower left attached to green screw.

Old 01-17-05, 05:51 PM
You are out of luck. You cannot power a receptacle from this switch. You will have to find another source.

Old 01-17-05, 05:52 PM
Ranbau
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the input!

Old 01-17-05, 06:16 PM
You have a 3 way switch. As Racraft said, you can't use it to feed an outlet.

Your best bet is to find another outlet you can tap from.