RCD Confusion

Old 01-18-05, 04:48 AM
mambo
Visiting Guest
Exclamation RCD Confusion

Hi Guys, I am not familiar with electrics at all so I apologise in advance if I'm just being stupid.

My problem is that I have recently taken a lease on a shop which was formerly a hairdressers and there seems to be two mains circuits running through the premises. I think the first circuit is a very old consumer unit and the second a much newer RCD unit. The old unit supplies the various lighting circuits and power to the plugs but the second unit was used to power two power showers which were used in the hairdressers.

I have been told that the RCD unit is useless to me as itís far too powerful to power standard household appliances such as computers and fridges. As I donít require showers in the shop my problem is that I want to know if I can use this wasted circuit for anything else.

I think thatís it, anyway thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-05, 05:51 AM
Where are you located? Electrical codes and techniques tend to be different in different parts of the world.

The term RCD is common in the UK, and means 'residual current devices', essentially a ground fault detector for the entire service. Is this where you are located?

Some information on RCD systems may be found here: http://www.marcspages.co.uk/pq/3342.htm

What are the specifications on the circuit/service that you are talking about? Amps, volts, etc?

-Jon