wiring diagram --> fixture, fix, 3way, 3way, fix

Old 01-18-05, 06:53 AM
eflinton
Visiting Guest

Need help - can't find anything like this that won't require separating a fixture.

15 amp breaker --> simple ceiling fixture 75w bulb --> 3way switch --> same fixture --> 3 way switch --> same fixture (end)

I am trying to tie into existing wiring and this is to be used (end to beginning) for the light at top of the basement stairs, switch(top), light at bottom of stairs, switch(bottom), light hallway.

Any help is appreciated -- I have plenty of 2 and 3 wire cable and access to run additional.

Thanks!
Eric

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-05, 07:50 AM
Unless you really want to do some head banging against a wall ( ), I suggest "wasting" some wire by going in this order:

Breaker-3way=3way-fixture-fixture-fixture.
(Where - is 14-2 and = is 14-3)

The order you propose doing this will require you to obtain some 14-4 wire (black, red, blue, white, ground) and is EXTREMELY confusing. See this diagram for a confusing wiring job using 12-4/14-4 (and this one is easy compared to yours):

http://lccofc.com/picstemp/3l2s1h.pdf

One question: Shouldn't there be one more switch in this setup, at the other end of the hallway? If so, you need to throw a 4way switch in as well.

In that case, we go: Breaker-3way=4way=3way-fixture-fixture-fixture.

Post back with how you want to proceed...

Remember: Wire is cheap compared to your labor time. Running more wire is faster than having to figure out what to do with eight wires (plus grounds) at each fixture.

Old 01-18-05, 08:12 AM
eflinton
Visiting Guest

Thanks for the suggestion Chirkware. I understand the wiring you supplied and will have to do some adjustments but that is fine.

I am finishing the basement and only have a short hallway (5') and the stairs that am trying to lite. I could possibly eliminate a fixture with more efficient placement of the one at the bottom of the stairs but thought I would try this. Wasn't particularly concerned with turning the them off from the great room - only top and bottom of stairs. Can you foresee any issues with this if I try to sell the house later?

Thanks again.
Eric

Old 01-18-05, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by eflinton
Wasn't particularly concerned with turning the them off from the great room - only top and bottom of stairs. Can you foresee any issues with this if I try to sell the house later?

Thanks again.
Eric

If it were me, I'd add the third switch so you don't have to worry about it. A switch that never gets used is no big deal, but lacking one where its needed is a pain. Adding one once the sheetrock is up is also a pain.

I just added a 4 way as a third switch for my dining area, and since then decided to add another 4 way as a fourth switch. I like a switch *anywhere* I may enter a room/hall/stairway. Thankfully, all this wiring is easily accessable in the attic, and the wall I want to put this switch on is currently stipped to the studs, so it will be easy.

The third switch costs you 1 box, 10-15 more feet of 14-3, an $8-$12 4way switch, and an extra 15-30 minutes.