Ribbed wire/Smooth wire - Dish Washer

Old 01-23-05, 12:36 PM
jhawk4ever
Visiting Guest
Ribbed wire/Smooth wire - Dish Washer

To make a long story short. We recently moved into a house and I decided to get ride of the 70s retro vinyl and tile the kitchen.

When I moved the dishewasher out, I noticed that the old cord was nicked very badly (from long ago) so I got a GE Renewal Part Dishwasher Cord to replace the old cord. The old cord just had smooth for both.

However, the GE Renewal Cord did not come with Instructions about whether the Ribbed wire goes with the black or white and if the sooth wire goes with the black or white from the dishwasher.

Anyone have ideas? I sure would appreciate the help.

Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-05, 12:53 PM
The safest thing to so is to go spend two dollars on a circuit tester and determine which is the hot wire and which is the neutral.

Old 01-23-05, 01:15 PM
Ribbed to white, smooth to black.

Old 01-23-05, 02:54 PM
jhawk4ever
Visiting Guest
Thanks Racraft

I plugged the GE cord into the wall and then tested the wires. The smooth wire indicated electrical flow, while the ribbed wire had "no" current.

I therefore connected the white wire to the smooth and the black wire to the ribbed.

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-23-05, 03:16 PM
You did it wrong. Not everything that works is safe.

Old 01-23-05, 03:26 PM
jhawk4ever
Visiting Guest
Please advise????

You did it wrong. Not everything that works is safe.

John, please help me understand. If the smooth wire on the GE replacement cord indicated a current, should that not be connected to the white wire on the dishwasher?

The ribbed wire did not indicate a current on the GE replacement cord therefore, should it not go to the black wire on the dishwasher?

I am not by any means an expert, but what racraft indicated made sense to me. Please help me understand what I am missing.

Jon

Old 01-23-05, 04:15 PM
You made the correct determination, but you went wrong when you made the connections. In AC wiring the black wire is the hot wire, while the white wire is the return.

By the way, your statement "The smooth wire indicated electrical flow, while the ribbed wire had "no" current." is not accurate. Both wires carry current under normal operations.

Old 01-23-05, 04:50 PM
jhawk4ever
Visiting Guest
Thanks

I appreciate your help and have connected the wiring correctly.

Jon