Splicing help

Old 01-24-05, 02:43 PM
5pirates
Visiting Guest
Splicing help

I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom and have removed a wall with a box that contains a light and fan switch. In order to move the box I will need to add additional wire. What is the best method for splicing the wires? Also, I was told that the box containing the splice needs to be accessible? The box cannot be buried in the wall. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-05, 02:53 PM
Yes, the box must be accesible. It can't be in the wall, behind a cabinet, etc. For the most part you have to see it. If you already have the bathroom gutted down it may be better to replace the whole run with a longer wire.

Old 01-24-05, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by 5pirates
I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom and have removed a wall with a box that contains a light and fan switch. In order to move the box I will need to add additional wire. What is the best method for splicing the wires? Also, I was told that the box containing the splice needs to be accessible? The box cannot be buried in the wall. Is this correct?

The splice must be contained in a junction box that is permanantly accessable.

Since you are remodeling, could you run new romex from the light and fan back to the switches? This would eliminate the need for splicing. If not, can you access an attic above this bath? If so, you may be able to locate the junction box in the attic, making it accessable. Otherwise, you will have to mount the junction box somewhere on the bathroom wall and put a blank plate on it.

Be sure in whatever case that you use the appropriate guage wire...

Old 01-24-05, 03:44 PM
hth
Yes, the box must be accesible. It can't be in the wall, behind a cabinet, etc
is it ok to have the box behind a cabinet but accessible from inside cabinet? My handyman put a cabinet infront of a j-box. He made a hole on the back of the cabinet so I can open the cabinet and get access to the box if needed.

Old 01-24-05, 03:51 PM
That is fine. As long as you can get to the junction box without removing the cabinet, and without removing any drywall.