How to secure wire on finished wall wiring

Old 01-24-05, 07:28 PM
Bill2003
Visiting Guest
How to secure wire on finished wall wiring

Obviously when you run new wire in an unfinished room, you attach the wire with wire staples which secure the wire and keep it from flopping around. I know the wire has to be attached within a certain number of inches to boxes or lights.

What is the equivalent when new wire is run in a finished room? I am adding a new outlet to a bathroom, I am running the wire down from the attic through the wall to the outlet. Am I supposed to secure the wire somehow? I am using a plastic retrofit box so there is really no way to clamp the wire to the box, it just runs in the little opening which secures it a little but not much. Just wondering if there is any rule on connecting the wire in this situation.

Old 01-24-05, 07:39 PM
turboboy
Visiting Guest
for remodeling work as you describe nec does not require the wire to be secured other than at the box. i assume the plastic box has the built in clamp inside it to secure the cable. :mask:

Old 01-24-05, 07:40 PM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Code does not require any stapling for cables fished into finished walls.

Old 01-24-05, 07:42 PM
Bill2003
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, the plastic box has that built in opening for the wire that sort of acts as a clamp. I guess that is sufficient.

Originally Posted by turboboy
for remodeling work as you describe nec does not require the wire to be secured other than at the box. i assume the plastic box has the built in clamp inside it to secure the cable. :mask:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: