Proper termonology

Old 01-26-05, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Proper termonology

Easy question.

What's the proper termonology for a set of wires banded in the metal sheathing for example 14/3 wires?

Is it considered cable or wiring? Both? Just trying to understand so I can ask accurate questions?

My thinking was that the term cable refers to a bundle of wires, so I'm running cable when I'm taking power to places it's not been before. Where as wiring is when I'm actually hooking up the wires to switches, outlets, etc. so I'm wiring a new switch.

Is that correct or am I way off base here?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-05, 09:21 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It is Type FMC. (Flexible Metal Conduit) It does not come as a cable with conductors already in it.

I wouldn't say you are way off base here, I can see where if you observed such an installation it might appear as if it comes like that, kind of like Romex on steroids.

Juice

Old 01-26-05, 09:24 AM
So would it be wrong to say,

"I need to run cable to my spare bedroom where there's no power to put in a new ceiling fan?"

Old 01-26-05, 10:11 AM
Puncture,

I jumped the gun. I have never personally used this stuff, but in the engineering buisiness (industrial) I have specified FMC. It is considered a "raceway" (conduit) type, and it is installed tnem wire is pulled through it. It is useful in some applications, but not a whole lot of them in what we do. You were correct about the term "cable". I forgot about a type that is often used in residences, and often above suspended ceilings in commercial and office spaces, typically for recessed lighting. This is called "Type AC" (Armor Clad) cable, or "Type MC", (Metal Clad), which are true cables - ones that come with the wires already in them. Just like Romex on steroids! They give you the ease of romex but can be in situations where Romex can't because of the metal protection of the conductors. So yes, you could correctly say "I need to run cable to my spare bedroom where there's no power to put in a new ceiling fan?" if you used one of those products. BTW, NEC Article 320 governs the use of "AC" and Article 330 governs the use of "MC".

Juice

Old 01-26-05, 10:13 AM
Sweet thanks for the drink of info Juice!

Old 01-26-05, 10:19 AM
Any time.

Juice