switch controlled outlet

Old 01-27-05, 09:39 AM
switch controlled outlet

i want to install an outlet in the rafter on my shed to plug a 4 foot floresant shop light into.i also want a switch near the door to control the outlet..from a wall outlet im going to run the neutral and hot wire to the switch,hooking the hot wire to the switch and then run the hot wire to the new outlet.then wirenut the neutrals together in the switch box and hook the end of the neutral to the new outlet.and hook the ground to the green screws along the way ...is this right?...thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-05, 10:50 AM
Yes, this is correct. You must use the proper wire type and make sure that the wire is protected.

Old 01-27-05, 04:27 PM
thanks ra...im trying to figure out now what type of wire to use...im in new york city and bx is the wire code here...but i will have a bunch of 12/2 uf cable left..i was thinking of using that being it is outside detached shed..either way i will use 12 gauge 2 wire with copper ground..thanks again .

Old 01-27-05, 06:08 PM
I can't help you with whether or not you must use a specific cable type.

In general, if you could use NM-B, you could use UF with no problem. However, specific codes may not allow it.

Old 01-28-05, 01:18 PM
I'm curious, is wiring a switched outlet different from a light fixture?

I asked because I've always ran light fixtures with power, and ran a switch wire to the switch. This is the way I've always seen them done as well.

Never ran a switched outlet before (don't like em or see the point in them).

Old 01-28-05, 03:37 PM
A switched receptacle is commonly done to avoid having to install a ceiling light. In tract homes, for example, where they want to save money, they will switch a receptacle in rooms because switching a receptacle is cheaper than wiring in a ceiling light.

You switch a receptacle in the same manner you switch a light. You can switch before or after the receptacle, you just have to make sure that it is the hot wire that is switched.