Need help in wiring connections, please

Old 01-27-05, 03:09 PM
EAT646
Visiting Guest
Need help in wiring connections, please

Hi everyone, I just bought a food warmer light which has the specification as follow:

3 wires: Green(label as G), White (label as L2) and Brown (label as L1) in a diagram.
Connections: Use minimum no.14 AWG copper wires
1265 watts
10.5 amps
120V

I have a heavy duty extention cord, which has a 16/3 AWG, with 1625 watts, 12 amps. There are 3 wires: Green, white and black.

Am i right that the correct way to wiring is connecting the white to white, green to green and black to brown?

Please advice. Thanks very much in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-05, 03:17 PM
An extension cord cannot be used as a cable. In other words, the only way you can use an extension cord is to leave the male plug on one end and the female plug on the other end.

Furthermore, a 16-gauge extension cord is "heavy gauge" only in the mind of the marketing department of the company who makes it. Depending on length, I'd use at least a 14-gauge cord in lengths less than 25 feet, or 12-gauge in lengths above that.

If you are going to mount this light somewhere and provide it with hard-wired power, it needs proper building wiring (not an extension cord), and it should probably be on a new dedicated (or nearly dedicated) circuit.

Old 01-27-05, 06:41 PM
EAT646
Visiting Guest
Hi John Nelson,

yes i do have an extra circuit line for this light. And, i only want to temporarily use the extension cord (which is 25 feet) until i received my order for the cord kit from the company. My only concern is the colors from the extension cord is different from the light unit.

Base on the colors, can you connect the wires in my situtation as white/white, green/green and black/brown?

any comment?

thanks again!

Old 01-27-05, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by EAT646
Connections: Use minimum no.14 AWG copper wires

I have a heavy duty extention cord, which has a 16/3 AWG

16 guage does NOT meet the requirement of minimum 14 guage wire. The higher the number, the smaller the wire. So this is a bad idea...