Breaker box and sub boxes?

Old 01-27-05, 05:02 PM
Breaker box and sub boxes?

Here is the plan,

I have one line coming in (100amp service).
I need to split that line to about 7 trailors (I know, but that is the way it looks like it is going to be temporarily).

My plan is to connect the main line to one breaker box with 7 breakers (not sure what rating they should be, 220?) then take one line to each trailer's breaker box that is already there.

This sound ok? Anything I should be aware of, like special cable I will need?
I know that I will be using 00 or 000 from the pole's breaker to the main breaker. Can I use a thinner cable to take it to the other boxes or stay with a 00 or 000?

Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-05, 06:36 AM
More:
Trailers have breaker 100amp service boxes.
Since 100 amp service has a maximum breaker number of 20, I think, does the breakers in the main box count towards this?

A thought I have had and I know I must be wrong but it sounds logical is that no circuit can use more than 100amps (or combined circuits). How does one create a 220amp line?

I have not had experience with 100 amp service so it seems that it would be very hard to get the power needed with so many people.

Old 01-28-05, 08:39 AM
JoeST
Visiting Guest
There is no way you could do this safeley from one 100 amp pannel. The most you can run from the original 100 amp is a single 60 amp sub pannel to the best of my knowledge. If you was to tie 7 seperate 100 amp pannels ( even if they would fit ) into one 100 amp it would overload the main in a secound, If not start a fire.

Old 01-28-05, 09:46 AM
We need more information!

What are the loads in the trailers? If there is only lights you might be able to get away with this but if there is air conditioning, electric heat, clothes dryers, electric range, or any other electric heat producing loads you just cannot do this successfully.

Unless you tamper with or bypass the main Over Current Protective Device there is no increased risk of fire but it will trip fairly often if the total loads of the trailers exceed it's rating.
--
Tom

Old 01-28-05, 11:23 AM
Obviously I should just say what I need to do and let people suggest methods

1) Have 7 trailers (using lights mainly, one or two may have a range)
2) I will have the elec. company bring in a 100 amp service line to their main breaker.

I need to get the power to all the trailers. I just assumed you did this by using a breaker box to divide it to each trailer and then each trailer with it's own breaker box would handle it.

How should I do this?

Mike

Old 01-28-05, 11:51 AM
If you mean you are going to have the power utility bring a one hundred ampere service lateral or drop to each home that will be just fine. I had thought that you were going to feed seven trailers from a single 100 ampere service.

What actually needs to happen before you try to supply these units from a single service is a demand load calculation. That is best done by an experienced master electrician as it would involve service to multible dwellings.
--
Tom H