Underground wiring for a submersible pump

Old 01-28-05, 07:48 AM
brad123
Visiting Guest
Underground wiring for a submersible pump

I am planning on installing a water feature in my backyard, and needed some advice on the best way to run the wiring. The pump is a small, submersible, 110V pump, and I will be running the wire underground about 75 feet. What is the best way to connect the wire to an existing outlet on the back of my house? Should I bury the wire in metal conduit? Any help would greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-05, 07:54 AM
First the caveat: Find out how many amps the pump draws ("small" is too imprecise). This is necessary not only for good design of wire size, but also to make sure the circuit you tap has enough extra capacity for it.

The existing receptacle on the back of your house is almost certainly already GFCI protected. In that case, you can mount an extension on the box which would allow you to run conduit out of the bottom of it. Then dig a trench at least 12 inches deep from the outlet to the area of the pump. Install a 4x4 redwood or pressure-treated post there and mount a waterproof box. Run PVC conduit out of the bottom of the box on each end down to the bottom of the trench. Run UF-B cable along the bottom of the trench and up the conduit into the box at each end. Filter out any sharp rocks from the dirt before you refill the trench.