whats the culprit

Old 01-29-05, 06:02 AM
dylanl99
Visiting Guest
whats the culprit

Hello all

search option pretty confusing,

I have a problem with two outlets that keeps causing a circuit to trip, can a faulty receptacle cause this, i tested power to both and they were hot, then i plugged a light in and vaccum and trip occured , i reset the breaker and power is back on (tester),but nothing works on either receptacle,

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-05, 07:02 AM
dylanl99
Visiting Guest
follow up? any ideas ?

i tried a working receptacle from another area of the house ,nothing, my tester is still showing power but nothing will work when plugged in ??

Old 01-29-05, 07:13 AM
What are you using to test with?

What do you mean, "i tried a working receptacle from another area of the house ,nothing"

What else is on this circuit? What other items are plugged in and/or turned on?

Old 01-29-05, 07:26 AM
dylanl99
Visiting Guest
Ac Detective

ac detective is the tester, it beeps and lights up, im pretty sure there are only the two receptacles on the circuit, all other outlets in both rooms work. the 2 receptables are in two differet rooms but are parallel to each other.
they were both working this mornign after months of inactivity, then when i pluggged vacuum into one of them they are both noit working now, i took out another receptacle that works fine in another room and nothing.

thanks

Old 01-29-05, 07:49 AM
What does this mean, "i took out another receptacle that works fine in another room and nothing"?

I still don't know what you are using to test with. Are you using a proximity tester that beeps or ticks or lights up when you hold it close to a live wire? Are you using a device that you insert into the receptacle and it lights up? Does it have two wires? Is it a plug in type tester with three fixed prongs?

In your original post you said that circuit trips. Do you mean that the circuit breaker trips and that you have to reset it? Or do you mean that the circuit just doesn't work?

Old 01-29-05, 08:08 AM
dylanl99
Visiting Guest
ticker typwe tester

It looks like a pen, no wires has a metal tip,it beeps and lights,

i have 2 receptables that will not work, my tester ticks and lights up when i place near each unworking receptacle, i took another recpetable from another room that works and wired it to one of the boxes that is giving me trouble, tester showed power but, the confirmed working in another room recpetable does not work in the problem area. i hope this clears it up.

thanks for you time

Old 01-29-05, 09:02 AM
Any time a non-contact voltage tester says that a receptacle has voltage, but yet nothing plugged in will work, the answer is an "open neutral". Use the search feature to search the last several months for "open neutral" and you'll find that it is oft discussed. You'll also find out that a vacuum cleaner is often the cause. The solution is to shut off the breaker and open up every (yes, every) box on the circuit and remake the connections, especially of the white wire. The culprit is usually a failed backstab connection (wire poked into hole). All backstab connections should be remade to the adjacent screw. It could also be a loose wire nut. Pull on every wire in a wire nut to see if it is securely held.