GFCI confusion

Old 01-29-05, 08:42 AM
jdett
Visiting Guest
GFCI confusion

Hi,
I'm wiring a new bathroom. The power source is run to the outlet where I will put the GFCI outlet. The load on the GFCI will be a light and an exhaust fan/light. I ran 12-3 to all boxes and am planning on putting a 20a circuit breaker in for the circuit.

My confusion is with the GFCI outlet. The packaging says it's 15amp, but the plug itself says 20a 125v on it? Is this the right outlet to use? Or do I need to buy one that says 20amp on the package?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-05, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
When you say 12-3, do you mean black/white/bare (commonly called 12/2) or do you mean black/red/white/bare (commonly called 12/3)?

The answer to your question is that it is perfectly fine to use the GFCI you bought in the application you bought it for. 15-amp receptacles can be used on 20-amp circuits, because all 15-amp receptacles have 20-amp pass-through capacity.

Old 01-29-05, 11:55 AM
jdett
Visiting Guest
whoops, yep i meant 12-2. Thanks for the response.

Old 01-30-05, 05:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what you are doing is nec legal as of 210-11(b)(3) as long as the 2o amp circuit supplies one bathroom and thats it. I do not like to put the lighting on the load side of the gfi because if the gfi trips the person(s) will be in the dark. Some of these gfis can be tempermental and give a nuisance trip once in awhile for no reason. Just my advice