ceiling light

Old 01-30-05, 06:29 AM
Philip Reichert
Visiting Guest
ceiling light

i removed a ceiling fan and light after a water leak. when instaling new light
i found i have two white and two black the two whites are togther two blacks seperate.i have power at one black and both whites but the switch does not break the connectin only the breaker i think two go to the switch
the others are a feed do i have to run power to the switch and then the fixture? thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-05, 09:42 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There are a couple of possibilities here,

either you have a switch loop or the ceiling was wired so the motor had power and the switch controlled the light. To figure out which one you have, You'll need to carefully remove the light switch from the box (with power off)...DON"T disconnec the wires from it, we need to know how many cables (black& white wires) are in the box and which ones and colors are hooked to the switch.

****If there is only one cable in the switch box and both the wires hook to the switch, (one black/one white) then it's a switch loop. Hook up like this: *Ceiling connections* White power wire to white light wire. black power wire to white switch wire. Black switch wire to black light wire. Mark this end of white switch wire with black tape or marker to show it's being used as a "hot" wire. *Switch connections* black wire to either switch terminal, white wire to other terminal. Mark this end of the white wire black also. The light should work now.****

If you have any other wire combinations, please post back, also please let us know if it worked!