Dedicated circuits

Old 01-30-05, 09:41 AM
Dedicated circuits

In my remodeled kitchen I have 3 plug ins on the counter, with one of them for a microwave. These are gfci protected and the only ones on that circuit. I have another circuit that has 3 plug ins and a ceiling light. One of those is for the refrigerator, the others are one on the counter and one on the wall. I have been told that the NEC requires that the refrigerator and microwave must be on dedicated circuits. I can't find that in my IRC book. We Have adopted the 2000 IBC with no amendments. Am I in violation of code?
Thanks

George

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-05, 09:50 AM
If you are remodeling your kitchen, then there are at least a hundred codes you need to know about. I recommend the $6 green paperback, Wiring Simplified, available in the electrical aisle at Home Depot.

Code does not require dedicated circuits for either the refrigerator or microwave, although both are a good idea. The code gives a couple of alternatives for your refrigerator. Codes for the microwave depend on whether it sits on the counter or is built-in.

The reason I'm being a bit vague is that I would have to write a book to cover all the details, and that book has already been written so there's no sense me duplicating the effort.

Old 01-30-05, 11:00 AM
Thanks John. The microwave will sit on the counter, so a dedicated circuit is not required, Right?. A dedicated circuit for the refrigerator would be dictated under certain circumstances, I think none of which apply in this case. I guess in order to be prudent and cautious, though, I should and will install a dedicated circuit for it. Thanks again

Old 01-30-05, 11:30 AM
However, code does say that your ceiling light cannot be on the same circuit as the countertop receptacles, so you have at least this one problem to address (if this is a remodel).

Old 01-30-05, 12:30 PM
Thanks Racraft, I can connect the light to another circuit with out too much trouble.