Fastening wires that helpful?

Old 01-31-05, 11:30 AM
Fastening wires that helpful?

In the planning stages of rewiring my entire house. NEC says to staple/fasten wiring at regular intervals and near the boxes the cables go into. NEC also says this isn't necessary if walls are already finished.

Since my walls are already finished, I am trying to figure out what benefit is there if I open up my walls to fasten new wiring to the framing. Are there any dangers to letting the cable hang loose in the walls? I am not afraid of drywall repair but I may run a lot of wire behind the baseboards unless there is a reason to avoid this.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-05, 12:57 PM
Clearly the code figures that stapling is safer than not stapling, but not enough safer to require you to tear down your walls to do it. That's about as good of guidance as you're going to get. The choice is up to you but I certainly wouldn't be tearing into my walls if the only reason was to drive a staple.

Old 01-31-05, 01:59 PM
Thanks John!

Thanks, that was just what I was looking to hear.

Old 01-31-05, 07:50 PM
I also asked my inspector this questions here in Ontario. He stated if it is a retofit no staples are required and then told me that staples are there to ensure that no wire is inadvertantly caught, pinched, damaged behind any drywall as it is being installed.