Generator transfer swirches

Old 01-31-05, 10:31 AM
Generator transfer swirches

I've been looking for a good automatic transfer switch, at a reasonable cost. I found a brand called ASCO. I have never heard of them but they claim to be in business for 110 years and hold 50% of the U.S. market in automatic switches. If anybody can give me any advice i would apprieciate it. along with good/bad expiriences with gen-tran,generac, and guardian. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-05, 04:09 PM
Asco is a good name, mostly all the transfer switches I have installed or serviced commercially within the Northeast are Asco, Zenith (GE), Cutler Hammer and Russelectric.

Russelectric would be my choice for quality but will cost you more.

In my opinion Generac and Gen-tran line is ok for residential or small businesses.

Old 02-01-05, 10:21 AM
I work in industrial electrical engineering and have specified automatic transfer switches (ATS) for over 7 years.

ASCO (The American Switch Company) is absolutely top-flight equipment. Russelectric is at least as good, although I would be reluctant to say which is better. I consider them to be the two top players in the market in terms of quality and reliability. Zenith is another top company. Caterpillar generators offer their own brand of ATS, but theirs are really re-badged Zenith switches. Another fine choice is Cummins-Onan, another generator mfr., who make their own switches.

These four brands are always named in our specifications, but not Generac. Although those guys produce fine equipment for residential applications, they do not meet industrial requirements in my opinion. Cutler-Hammer is a quality manufacturer, with a mix of residential, commercial and industrial power distribution equipment, but for some reason my company has never included them in our transfer switch spec.

Juice