Neutral wire connected to ground???

Old 01-31-05, 05:01 PM
dahNJ
Visiting Guest
Neutral wire connected to ground???

I am replacing a light fixture in my bathroom. When I installed the new fixture it does not work, and now neither do my kitchen or patio lights. The people who lived here before me had the old fixture wired up so the neutral wire (aluminum wiring) was connected to the gound wire to complete the circuit. If it is done this way everything works. If it is done the correct way, nothing works. Is it safe to connect the neutral and ground wires together in the new fixture? What could be the cause of it not working when hooked up correctly? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-05, 05:54 PM
No, it is definitely not safe to connect neutral and grounding wires together. Unfortunately, it seems that due to unscrupulous practices in the past, you must choose between safety and function. Nobody should have to make that choice. I think it's time to bite the bullet and have an electrician come in and straighten this mess out. The safety of your family is more important than a few bucks.

Old 01-31-05, 06:05 PM
Sounds like some had a switch loop and needed power. Rather than pulling the proper new cable to the neutral they needed, they used the ground as a current carrying conductor. You need to pull new cable to eliminate this problem.

Old 02-01-05, 07:09 AM
Another possibility is that the neutral is open (this may explain why the other lights on the circuit need this ground/neutral connection to work)...

Old 02-01-05, 05:17 PM
dahNJ
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the feedback. I will get an electrician in to figure it out. I can handle cooking in the dark for a few days, better than burning my house down. Thanks again. I will keep you posted.

Old 02-03-05, 12:18 PM
Now that is what I like to hear.....someone know their limitations and know when to call a Electrician...

I am 100% for do it yourselfing it to a point and this person knew the point to stop at and call for assistance......Kudo's to you my friend.

Old 02-08-05, 06:35 PM
dahNJ
Visiting Guest
Just a follow up. I had an electrician come out and he pulled a new neutral wire. All is working great now. Thanks again for your feedback!