will edison-base flor's satisfy high-eff?

Old 02-01-05, 09:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
will edison-base flor's satisfy high-eff?

California, US, re: type of fixtures to satisfy high-efficiency primary lighting requirement in kitchen remodel.

Will be remodelling, replacing a single incandescent light in center of room with 5 recessed cans throughout. Am wondering if edison-base fixtures are allowed? In other words, must they be dedicated florescent-base (T, CF) fixtures, or will edison-base florescent bulbs in standard fixtures satisfy?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-05, 11:09 AM
I am not familiar with California energy codes. Edison base compact fluorescents have total wattage on the package, they indicate light output equivalent for an incandescent, and they are very efficient compared to incandescent. But theoretically, because a future owner could to unscrew them and put in 100 watt incandescents, I am not sure it will satisfy the energy code. In fact, I would tend to believe that the fixture must be designed to accept the only maximum wattage bulb acceptable for the watts per square foot that would meet the code. Just my $0.02. You can ask your local code enforcement officer if in doubt.

Juice

Old 02-02-05, 11:34 PM
Tim Martin
Visiting Guest
not anymore.

I had heard that at one time, inspectors would let you get by with that. But now too many people abused it and just put in incand after the inspectors left. Thus I have heard many people say that you have to put in dedicated fluoro's that can't be easily swapped back.

I had a very similar issue and I decided not to risk it.

Old 02-03-05, 09:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Thanks, that's what I suspected, and since confirmed by a trip to the building dept. Unforunately, that makes shopping quite a bit harder.