Newbie question


Old 02-01-05, 10:45 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Newbie question


Thought I would tap some resources here for what is probably a very basic question.

I am borrowing a breaker box/panel that has a 220 plug on it. This wire then goes to a breaker box that has several 15 amp circuits and wall outlets all connected to a sheet of wood. This box allows me to tap into 220 V plugs and use 110V standard plug ins.

I am using this device to run a mess of computers for a day in a rented hall.

The 220 V breaker says 50 Amps on it.

My question is, with this 220->110 conversion that is happening, is the end result 110V with 50 Amps or does it change it to 110V at 100Amps? or 110V at 25 Amps?

The reason I ask is we go on the formula of 2 amps / computer and I do not wish to overload this circuit.

I apologize for any poor information I am giving or if my terminology is incorrect, but any assistance would be greatly apreciated.


Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-05, 10:55 AM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Fayetteville, NY, USA
Posts: 1,052
If feeding a 110/220 panel off a 2-pole (220) breaker, you will have 50 amps available. The wire between the feeder panel and the panel being fed must be minimum #8 AWG wire with a #10 AWG ground.

Old 02-01-05, 12:13 PM
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: United States
Posts: 18,497
A 50-amp 240-volt breaker can supply up to 50 computers, each using 2 amps at 120 volts.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes