GFI question


Old 02-01-05, 01:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
GFI question

I have 2 bathrooms on the same circuit. can I use one gfi recepticle to cover the outlets on the same circuit even if they are not in the same room? If yes, which outlet do I install it on?

Am I better off installing a GFI breaker in the panel.

Same question in my kitchen except there are three outlets on the same circuit and they are all in the same kitchen.

Last question regards wiring in the panel itself. I noticed that two of my circuit breakers (not the kitchen or bathrooms) have 2 wires going to them. Is this OK? if not what alternatives are there, I have no additional free space for another breaker in the panel (200 amp)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-05, 03:25 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, you can usually use one GFCI receptacle to protect all the receptacles on the circuit. You need to determine which is the upstream receptacle and which is the downstream receptacle. The GFCI gets installed as the upstream receptacle and the wires leading to the downstream receptacle get connected to the load side of the GFCI receptacle.

However, I don't recommend this for your setup, especially if there are other rooms or lights on the circuit. The reason I don;t recommend this is because your monthly test (and please do perform a monthly test) and any accidental (or real) trips will cut everything on the circuit. Search back through this forum and you will see numerous posts about people who have no idea that their bathroom is on a GFCI protected circuit and can't figure out what is wrong, even though it is as simple as looking in the other bathroom. For your situation I recommend a GFCI receptacle in each bathroom.

However, for the kitchen I do recommend that you use one GFCI receptacle to protect several receptacles. This is because the receptacles are all in the same room.

Depending on the make of the panel and the make of the breakers, it is allowed to have two wires going to the same breaker. If you need (or want) to correct this and get them on different breakers, you need to install more breakers, switch to twin or tandem breakers, or install a sub-panel. If you want to correct this by keeping them on the same circuit but only have one wire to the breaker then you need to use a wire nut and a pigtail. The pigtail gets connected to the breaker and then to the wire nut where you also tie in the two wires going that were on the breaker.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: