Help with GFCI

Old 02-01-05, 08:38 PM
tqilashot86
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Help with GFCI

if i connected the wires to a gfci and pressed the test button...why does it not work?
if i connected a hot and a neutral to a gfci and get no power, but i do get power when i test the line...what might be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-05, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Why doesn't what work? If you press the test button on a properly wired GFCI, the GFCI trips and the receptacle does not work until reset.

If you connect the line wires to the load side rather than the line side, the GFCI will also not work.

"get power" is ambiguous. Did you test for voltage with a voltmeter or circuit tester?

Please provide more details and history.

Old 02-01-05, 09:03 PM
tqilashot86
Visiting Guest
i will double check the wires to make sure they are connected correctly.
as for the second question...my voltmeter reads 83 volts when i test the bare wires, and reads 4volts when i have them connected to the gfi.

Old 02-01-05, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
83 volts is not power. It is phantom voltage. You're not even getting power to this box. Your problem is upstream. Either the hot or the neutral is open.

Test for voltage black to ground, and then white to ground. Tell us what your voltmeter says on both tests.

Old 02-01-05, 09:14 PM
tqilashot86
Visiting Guest
thanks for your help. im sure the problem is with the neutral, i'll have to go back and check. I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-03-05, 06:00 PM
tqilashot86
Visiting Guest
I found the problem...the neutral had a break at the tip where it was connected at the gfi. thanks again for your input.