code: add outlet inside of built-in cabinet?

Old 02-02-05, 04:41 AM
code: add outlet inside of built-in cabinet?

I want to add an outlet to the **inside** of a built-in floor-mounted cabinet that will be used to contain video equipment (that is, a DVD player and a DVR). The cabinet is ventilated. TV will sit on top of cabinet.

Does the electrical code allow adding an outlet to the inside of a cabinet?

thanks,
Brent

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-05, 05:58 AM
Yes, it does allow this. I would suggest though, if audio/video equip will be used in the cabinet and the cabinet is fairly close to a wall recepticle, buy a power strip with surge suppresion and mount it in the cabinet and plug it into the wall outlet. you'll have more outlets and better protection.

Old 02-03-05, 04:28 AM
Thanks for the response.
Unfortunately the cabinet is built in to an alcove in a weird interior wall with 3 other passageways and no outlets anywhere along its entire length--nowhere to plug in a surge suppression strip.
But I do plan to power the video devices from a surge suppression strip plugged in to the new outlet inside the cabinet.

thanks,
Brent

Old 02-03-05, 08:13 AM
Brent,

The only real CODE issue that comes up regarding counters and so on are mostly in reference to kitchen counters and so on. You are free as far as the code is concerned to add a recep. to the cabinet you are doing as long as it is wired in accordance to the NEC Code requirements for grounding, supporting and installations.

A few articles to review are : NEC Art 336, Art 300 and Art 250